Expression of Interest
GO Transit New Year’s Eve & Holiday Service - Title Partner
Potential Partner Benefits and Evaluation Framework
Metrolinx is a crown agency created by the Government of Ontario that champions and delivers mobility solutions which connect people, places and communities throughout the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area region. Metrolinx plays a critical role in planning and delivering a seamless, integrated transit network allowing people to use public transit to travel easily from Niagara to Newmarket to Oshawa. Metrolinx operates GO Transit, the regional public transit system, UP Express, the rail service from Union to Pearson Airport, and PRESTO, an electronic fare card that allows riders to transfer seamlessly across multiple transit systems.
More than 303,000 people travel on GO Transit vehicles on an average day; about 268,000 on train and 35,500 on buses.
Thousands of people will turn to public transport to travel over the festive and New Year’s party season. Metrolinx wishes its customers a safe, joyous and stress-free holiday season. Toward that end, GO Transit is offering an economical and convenient travel option this coming holiday season by providing extra trains on December 22nd, 29th & 31st 2017.
Metrolinx has been providing free extended evening GO service on New Year’s Eve (NYE) since 2001. In parallel with local transit agencies, a free ride program will be provided on December 31, 2017 from 19:00 until approximately 04:00 on January 1, 2018, to encourage responsible celebrations. Special Holiday service on December 22nd and 29th will replace regular service, and will be ticketed at regular price.
In addition to the 2017 holiday season being explored through this EOI, Metrolinx is exploring options for taking this opportunity to market for future holiday seasons, through a process in 2018.
Expression of Interest Opportunity
Metrolinx, through this Expression of Interest (EOI), is seeking a title partner for the 2017 holiday season (contract term ending on or before January 31, 2018), to offset operating costs, enhance the customer experience, grow awareness of the NYE & Holiday Services, and drive ridership.
Support from Metrolinx could include, but is not limited to, access to a wide breadth of Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area customers through advertising, integrated and co-branded messaging & promotions, on-train activations, and other initiatives that surprise and delight customers along their journey throughout the holiday season.
Potential Partnership Benefits Framework
Title Partner Rights
- Official New Year’s Eve Title Partner designation
- Access to GO Transit brand, trademarks, logo, imagery, etc.
- Potential for naming rights to the NYE GO service and Special Holiday Service
Exposure and Recognition
Additional Advertising & Marketing Benefits
- Presence on digital media screens in 20 York teamway/Skywalk
Potential benefits outlined above are subject to compliance with Metrolinx’s existing contractual commitments and all legal, operational and regulatory requirements. Certain restrictions may apply to the potential benefits mentioned.
- Access to existing and future communication channels (social media, website etc.)
- Promotion inclusion through On the GO Alerts
- Presence within GO trains through train posters, in-train announcements
- Potential inclusion within a radio/digital advertising buy
- In-person access to GO passengers at stations or on-trains across the GO Bus and Rail network through activations
Participation by Vendors in this EOI process is strictly voluntary and is neither a pre-requisite nor a pre-qualification requirement necessary for participation in any future opportunities. Information provided by any Vendor as part of this EOI shall not be construed in any way as part of a competitive solicitation.
Metrolinx is subject to certain exclusivity restrictions for advertisements in the Grocery, Health/Pharmacy and Beauty sectors. Any proposals which would put Metrolinx offside its exclusivity restrictions will not be considered. If you operate in those sectors, we encourage you to call Josh Nobrega at Metrolinx at 416-202-0410 to determine whether Metrolinx’s advertising exclusivity covers your company.
Partnership Development Process
Outlined below are key dates and an overview of the process for participating in this Expression of Interest. A description of the EOI process, and the terms and conditions that apply to the EOI process are set out in Appendix “A”.
The EOI timetable above is tentative only, and may be changed by Metrolinx at any time.
- October 16, 2017: Process and Proposal Guidelines document issued to all potential EOI participants and published on MERX.
- October 19, 2017, 5:00 p.m. Toronto time: Deadline for EOI participants to submit any questions to Metrolinx. Please direct any inquiries to Josh Nobrega at Metrolinx via 416-202-0410 or email@example.com.
- October 23, 2017, 11:59 p.m. Toronto time: Deadline for submission of proposals, which must be prepared in accordance with Appendix “A” instructions.
- October 25, 2017: Follow up questions from Metrolinx to EOI participants.
- October 26, 2017: Deadline for responses to Metrolinx’s follow up questions.
- October 27, 2017: Selection of lead proponent and negotiations. We expect a final agreement to be entered into by November 3, 2017.
Vendors responding to this Expression of Interest should include the following information in their submission:
- Full Legal Name of Business and any operating name in the market
- Street Address (head office and other relevant offices)
- City, Province/State
- Postal Code
- Phone Number
- Name and Title of Contact Person
- Contact Person Phone
- Contact Person E-mail
- Company Website address
- Social Media Channels
Business Fit and Experience
- Brief description of company including a brief corporate history, services and products offered
- Describe how your brand aligns with GO Transit and why your organization would be an effective partner to Metrolinx
- Please speak to any relevant past or current programs with other partners or transit agencies
- Demonstrated ability to work within tight timelines
Metrolinx must generate a positive cash return. In making its final selection, Metrolinx will determine what proposal offers best value for money to GO Transit and its customers, taking into consideration whether the proposal aligns with Metrolinx values and objectives, is feasible to implement and generates a good return on investment. Please ensure to answer all questions outlined in the Proposal and complete the term sheet.
- Plan overview of your proposal to offset operating costs (i.e. financial contribution)
- Plan overview of your proposal to enhance the customer experience, grow awareness of the services and drive ridership (i.e. marketing and activation plan)
- Identify potential support you could provide to support awareness, trial and usage of the GO NYE & Special Holiday Service
- Identify any marketing & communications channels available to reach the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area market
- Please identify any terms and conditions that would apply to your participation
Evaluation Framework – Proposal Guidelines
Category of Evaluation & Point AllocationElements
(up to 20 Points)
- Financial contribution (15 points)
- Value-in-kind contribution (5 points)
- In each case, proportionality of requested Metrolinx benefits compared to proposed partner contributions will be considere
(up to 20 Points)
- Credibility of partner organization (e.g. market reach, experience working with other transit agencies, customer sentiment)
Marketing & Communications Feasibility to Implement
- Experience with relevant past or current programs with other partners or transit agencies
(up to 10 Points)
Notwithstanding that a proposal may be the highest ranked proposal, Metrolinx will not proceed with any proposal that does not score, at a minimum, 12 points out of 20 under Business Fit, 12 points out of 20 under Brand Fit and 6 points out of 10 under Marketing & Communications Feasibility to Implement.
- Ability of each of partner and Metrolinx to deliver on proposal in preparation for 2017 holiday season
- Marketing support provided to aid in delivery of proposal